Doctor’s Choice Chili
Chili is one of a Sneaky Chef’s best hiding places. As I tested this recipe, I was astonished at the amount of puree that could disappear into this firehouse favorite. I even took some down to the guys at the local station and put them to the Sneaky Chef Challenge. The firemen gobbled up the chili, but none of them could guess the hidden ingredients!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion - minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey (or a mix of both)
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (plus additional to taste)
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1⁄2 to 1 cup White Puree Click for Make Ahead recipe#4
- 1⁄2 cup Green Puree Click for Make Ahead recipe#3
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans - drained
- 1 to 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt - to taste
- Green onions chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Low-fat sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Shredded low-fat cheese for garnish (optional)
- *If your guy objects to whole, visible beans in his chili, simply substitute one cup of White Bean Puree or 1⁄2 cup of oat bran for the same nutritious effect.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a chili or soup pot. Add the onion and cook until slightly translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the ground meat, stirring to break it up, and cook until it is no longer red, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and a few grinds of pepper, followed by the White and Green Purees, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, and 1 cup of vegetable broth. Mix well, combining all the colors.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, adding more vegetable broth as needed.
- Season with salt and more pepper and cayenne, for extra spice.
- Top bowls of chili with green onions, sour cream, and cheese, if using. Serve with Grilled Corn Bread.
- Save the leftovers from this meal and put a portion in a thermos or plastic container for your man’s lunch.