Nutrition Highlights: fruit, vegetables, and protein
Rich in vitamins A, B, C, E and K, calcium, magnesium, selenium, manganese, folate, iron, lycopene, tryptophan, protein, and fiber. These tacos are deliberately mild so they will appeal to a wide variety of palates. If your kids like the taste of packaged taco seasoning or taco sauce, you can simply add it to this recipe. Allowing your children to fill their own taco shells is not only fun for them, but it also makes it more likely that they will eat what they prepared
Servings: 12 small tacos
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion finely minced or pureed
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Purple Puree Make Ahead Recipe
- 3/4 cup mild salsa*
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 12 hard taco shells
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Cook the onions until they are slightly translucent and then add the beef (or turkey), stirring to break it up, cooking about 5 minutes until meat is no longer red.
- Add the salt, a few grinds of pepper, Purple Puree, salsa, and tomato paste and mix well until heated through and the colors blend into a brown mixture, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Help kids to spoon about ¼ cup filling into each taco shell. Add toppings as desired.