Top Banana Waffles
These waffles look and taste decadent, but when you make them for your sweetie on Sunday morning, you’ll have done your good deed for the day. The healthy combination of sweet potatoes, carrots, walnuts, and bananas will satisfy any hungry man—especially a man who doesn’t want to feel like he’s on a diet!
Servings: 4 waffles
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup Orange Puree Make-Ahead Recipe
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup plus additional for serving
- 2 large bananas mashed with the back of a fork (about 1⁄2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons Ground Walnuts Make-Ahead Recipe
- 3⁄4 cup Flour Blend Make-Ahead Recipe
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- milk as needed
- Preheat a waffle iron to medium-high and spray with oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg whites, vanilla, salt, Orange Puree, maple syrup, mashed bananas, and ground walnuts.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Flour Blend, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until just blended. Batter should be fairly thick and slightly lumpy. But if too thick, add a touch of milk.
- Spoon 1⁄3 to 1⁄2 cup batter onto the center of the prepared waffle iron (the amount of batter needed will vary according to the size and type of the waffle iron you’re using).
- Close the top and cook until the waffle is lightly browned, crisp, and lifts easily off the grids, about 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter, spraying the waffle iron with more oil if needed.
- Serve immediately as the waffles come off the iron, or keep them warm on a plate, covered with aluminum foil.
- Serve drizzled with maple syrup.