Nutrition Highlights: vegetables
Makes about 4 cups sauce
Sneaky Tip: if you're short on time, simply mix a couple of tablespoons of both the Orange Puree and White Puree into your child's favorite bottled tomato sauce!
Servings: 4 cups
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely minced or pureed
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup Orange Puree (see Make-Ahead Recipe #2)
- 1/4 cup White Puree (see Make-Ahead Recipe #4)
- 1 can, about 28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes with liquid
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Place oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onions and garlic until they are slightly translucent but not brown, stirring occasionally. Mix in the Orange and White Purees, tomatoes, and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until sauce thickens. Transfer sauce to a blender and puree in batches, or use a handheld blender inserted directly in the pot to puree sauce.
- Stir in salt and a few grinds of pepper, to taste. Use immediately or store covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 6 months.