Corn tortillas make this dish infinitely easier (and more nutritious) than lasagna noodles that need to be pre-boiled. Plus the layers of ground beef, salsa, and cheese offer a superb hiding place for many sneaky purees.
- For the ground meat mixture:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion finely chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey crumbled, or mix both
- ¾ cup salsa
- ½ cup Orange White, or Purple Puree
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- 4 round corn tortillas 6-inch, white or yellow
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar or Jack cheese
- cup Optional extra boost: 1each corn and/or black beans
- For the sauce:
- ¼ cup Orange Puree
- ¾ cup salsa
- ½ teaspoon each cumin and chili powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 or 10-inch glass pie pan with oil.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a deep skillet or earthenware pot.
- Add the onions and cook until they are slightly translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the beef (or turkey), stirring to break it up, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the meat is no longer red. Stir in the salsa, Puree, wheat germ, and a few grinds of pepper. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 to 10 more minutes. While the meat mixture is simmering, mix the Orange Puree, salsa, cumin, and chili powder in a separate mixing bowl (this is the sauce mixture).
- Spread ½ cup of sauce on the bottom (center) of the prepared pie plate.
- Place 1 tortilla on top of the sauce.
- Spread ½ cup of the meat mixture evenly over the tortilla.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of cheese over the meat mixture.
- Place another tortilla on top of the cheese, then repeat steps 3 and 4 two more times.
- Finish by topping with remaining tortilla and spread the remaining salsa mixture over the top of the tortilla, then sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Cover lasagna with foil sprayed with oil. Bake 15 minutes. Uncover. Bake another 5 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Let stand a few minutes before cutting.