SOUTHWESTERN BURRITO BOWL
Burrito bowls are deceptive. You think that by skipping the wrap, the meal is
healthier and lower in calories. But really, you’re getting several servings of
white rice, loads of cheese, and lard-laden refried beans. Not this one, which
stars my Black Bean-Blueberry–Baby Kale Base Blend as a delicious substitute
for refried beans.
Nutrition facts (per serving): 200 calories; 3 g fat; 86 mg sodium; 36 g carbs; 5 g
fiber; 4 g sugar; 9 g protein
Servings: 4 people 1 Cup
- 1 cup Black Bean–Blueberry–Baby Kale Base Blend Base Blend
- 2 tablespoons salsa or tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper or more to taste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat the blend, salsa, and all of the spices in a small pot over medium-low heat, and stir to combine.
- Heat until just warmed through.
- Place 1/2 cup of rice in each bowl and top with 1/2 cup of the bean mixture.
- Divide the tomatoes, lettuce, yogurt, and cheese equally among them and serve.