GRILLED CHEESE AND TOMATO SOUP
The best of all wintery night meals, this new recipe matches tummy-warming tomato soup with mini grilled cheese croutons for great crunch and flavor. Who can tell while crunching and sipping that at least five superfoods are in this cold-weather lunch?
Servings: 6 bowl
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced or pureed*
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 28 ounces
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ cup White Bean Puree Make Ahead Recipe
- 1 cup White or Orange Puree
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 4 ounces American cheese
- For the croutons:
- 3 slices whole grain bread cut into 2 circles each
- 2 ounces American cheese
- Heat oil over medium in a soup pot or Dutch oven. Cook the onions until they are slightly translucent, and then add the crushed tomatoes, vegetable or chicken broth, White Bean Puree, and White or Orange Puree.
- Bring to a simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the evaporated milk and cheese and simmer for another few minutes until all the cheese has melted.
- To make the croutons: divide cheese equally on top of each bread round and toast lightly until cheese is melted and bubbly. Lay crouton on top of soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove soup from heat and ladle soup into individual bowls. Top each bowl with a cheese crouton