Light Mac N Cheese
Nutrition Highlights: Compared to traditional mac n cheese recipe: 32% less calories, 48% less fat, 49% less cholesterol, 59% less sodium, 20% less carbs, and 199% more fiber.
Makes 4 servings
This lighter version of my original Masterful Mac n Cheese replaces half the quantity of cheese with evaporated skim milk and White or Orange Puree. It has a satisfying and creamy texture, and kids prefer that it's made on the stovetop (like the boxed versions) rather than oven-baked.
- 4 cups cooked elbows or other small pasta shape (about 1/2 pound dry)
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 1/4 cup White Puree (see Make-Ahead Recipe #4)
- 4 ounces reduced fat light colored cheese (like white cheddar)
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard (ideally honey mustard; don?t use spicy mustard)
> Mix all together in pot over low heat, mix; add pasta, stir
Same as above, substituting reduced fat yellow cheddar for white cheddar cheese, and adding 4 teaspoons of Orange Puree
|Serving Size 1 (233g)
(Recipe makes 4 servings)
We hope you enjoy this Free Sample Recipe!
Free sample recipes from The Sneaky Chef to the rescue - 101 all new recipes and sneaky tricks for creating healthy meals kids will love