Sneaky Chef Applesauce Brownies
Makes about 30 kid-sized brownies
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Purple Puree (see Make-Ahead recipe #1)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Flour Blend (mix equal parts white and whole wheat flour, or just use whole grain "pastry" flour - found in natural food stores)
- 1/4 cup rolled oats, ground in a food processor
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Butter or non-stick cooking spray
> Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter or spray only the bottom, not the sides, of a 13-by- 9-inch or 9-inch square baking pan.
> Melt the butter and chocolate chips together in a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water (or in a microwave, checking every 15 seconds). Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool a bit. Meanwhile, in another bowl, stir together the eggs, vanilla, sugar, Purple Puree, and applesauce. Combine this purple egg mixture with the cooled chocolate mixture.
> In a mixing bowl, stir together Flour Blend, cocoa powder, oats, and salt. Add this to the chocolate mixture and blend thoroughly. Mix in the chopped walnuts, if using, then pour the entire mixture into the baking pan.
> Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in pan before cutting the brownies and use a plastic or butter knife. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
> Keeps for a week in the refrigerator, covered tightly.
We hope you enjoy this Free Sample Recipe!
Free sample recipes from The Sneaky Chef