Thank you Laura Fuentes, Chief MOM
Three years ago my daughter entered a picky eating stage and I could not get her to eat anything! My son followed her path a year later. I came across Missy’s book The Sneaky Chef and I immediately fell in love with her ingenuity! The brownies were such a hit that I began putting them in their lunch box. They wanted a treat? Have a brownie! I’d say.
My daughter has slowly grown more open to trying new things; my son is another story. For the past year he has eaten macaroni and cheese nearly 2-3 times per week. Initially, I used Missy’s technique of adding pureed carrots or squash (anything orange) to add a nutritional boost to the organic, out of the box pasta. Soon, it became apparent that I needed to come up with my own “power sauce” in order to really maximize nutrition.
They say desperation is the mother of all invention. After trying many sauces and online recipes, I realized that simple ingredients worked best. There are days I whip up a single serving of “power sauce” while the pasta cooks; other days, I get really inspired and whip up a huge batch so all I have to do is pull a serving from the freezer and warm it up. Below, I’ll share with you both options so you can make the power sauce at home.
Power Sauce: Homemade Creamy Cheese Sauce
Courtesy of MOMables™’ Recipe Stash
Large Make ahead recipe: yields 12 1cup servings.
• 5lb bag organic carrots, peeled and washed
• 32oz (2lb) container part skim ricotta cheese
• 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup milk
1. Peel and wash carrots. Cut in a few pieces. Steam
2. Steam carrots until soft (12-15min for that size load)
3. In a blender/food processor add half of all the ingredients above and blend/puree well.
4. Repeat process for second batch.
5. After cooling, pour 1 cup of pureed mac and cheese into individual zip bags or freezer containers.
6. To make mac and cheese dinner: pour 1 cup power sauce and mix with cooked pasta (12oz dry pasta)
Single Batch: yields approx. 1cup sauce
• 3/4 cup steamed carrots
• 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
• 1-2 oz sharp cheddar cheese
• 2TB milk
Laura Fuentes is the Chief MOM at MOMables™. A wife, mother of 3 and a lunch enthusiast who insists on healthy, wholesome food for her family. She’s on a mission to help busy parents overcome the difficulties of packing fresh school lunches. On her personal blog, SuperGlueMom.com, she writes about motherhood, deadlines, healthier living, and keeping her cool, even when her kids super-glued her hair. She’s also a food contributor to numerous sites and is published weekly on an online news hub.
You can find her on Facebook or Twitter and MOMables on Facebook and Twitter